- Keyword stuffing. Going mad with overuse of keywords in the belief it will make your blog more searchable is a no-no. Six or seven keywords phrases in each 800 word article will suffice.
- Content farming. Do not be tempted to copy and paste someone else’s work or this will show up when the Bots come passing by.
- Link farming. The more (good quality) inward-bound links your blog gets, the higher in the rankings it will become, but beware of services that entice you to ‘buy’ hundreds of links for a few dollars. Too many inward-bound links looks suspicious and Google will penalize a site that has hundreds of inward-bound links from unscrupulous websites.
- Stilted writing style that is obviously an attempt to accommodate keywords. Write for people, not Googlebots.
- Fonts are too small to read onscreen.
- The blog, on first appearances appears to offer little – too many affiliate links, disjointed page layout or amateurish-looking graphics with little text.
- Not easy to navigate. Perhaps the link list bears no logic, or information is difficult to find.
Using keywords for beginners
SEO tips for dummies
Writers' guide to avoiding procrastination