|click to buy from Amazon|
This is the URL of one of my own websites. The webmaster may be dissatisfied with the appearance of a long and clunky looking URL, address and decide to purchase a top level domain name from a domain name provider, such as GoDaddy or Network Solutions. These charge a small annual fee for this service, but buying a good domain name wisely requires careful thought first.
Domain Name Tips
The following suggestions will help the webmaster in selecting the best domain name:
- Prefer the short domain name to the long, preferably one that is shorter than fifteen characters in length
- When conceiving a web address, prefer the extension .com, .org, .co.uk or .org, as opposed to .biz. or .family, for example.
- Avoid odd spellings, symbols and weird abbreviations
- Ensure the domain name is memorable
- Make sure the domain name is relevant to the website’s content
- Have alternative ideas handy in case the domain name is already taken
- Discount is often offered for multiple domain names, which is worth consideration
- Seek the second opinion of an informed party if in doubt
Domain Name Advice
Whichever domain name provider the webmaster decides to go with, it is wise to check its reputation for reliability first, for good customer support is vital to any business. But choosing the best domain name for a website will contribute to its success. This means thinking carefully about the URL address at the top level. A catchy and short domain name that says something about the web content is the best way of optimizing a website and attracting relevant visitors who are more likely to remember the domain name in the future